Dentist in San Mateo shares benefits of saving your natural teeth with root canal
Many adults in San Mateo, CA will face a serious tooth infection at some point in their lifetime. In some instances, the patient doesn’t even know about the infection, while in other situations, the patient comes to us in excruciating pain. When a tooth experiences a deep infection, patients are faced with two options: extract the tooth or receive a root canal to remove the nerve. At San Mateo Dental Care, we believe in the benefits of conservative approaches to treatment whenever possible. Root canals are an effective way to save the tooth and eliminate the need for further restoration down the road. Dr. Belen performs root canals to remove the infection, alleviate pain, and restore oral health to the mouth. Because San Mateo Dental Care understands the mouth-body connection, we use safe, biocompatible materials.
Many patients ask us, “are there benefits to root canals?” The answer is yes. The root canal permanently removes the damaged nerve and saves the tooth. With proper oral care, the patient can retain the natural tooth for the rest of their life.
Why choose root canal therapy?
When teeth experience extreme trauma from an injury or a deep cavity that has gone untreated, bacteria can then penetrate the enamel and dentin, reaching the nerve tissue located within the pulp chamber. While the infection may not start out painful, without treatment it can eventually begin to swell and cause increased sensitivity along with pain. When we remove the infected tissue with a root canal procedure, we eliminate the pain and allow the tooth to become functional again.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
- They are simple – Many individuals worry that root canals are a difficult procedure, but in actuality, they are very close to traditional fillings.
- They eliminate pain – A common myth is that root canals are painful procedures, and this just isn’t the case. Root canals actually eliminate the pain caused by infected teeth.
- They prevent extractions – Without treatment, an infected tooth can cause serious damage and eventually require extraction which will then create the need for restorations such as implants. Root canals save the natural tooth structure.
- They improve your health – Untreated infections can spread to other areas of the mouth or body. Root canals eliminate the infection to improve oral health.
Request an Appointment
What goes on during a root canal?
A typical root canal consists of the following steps:
- Drilling into the tooth and removing any infected tissue
- Cleaning out the canals
- Filling the area with biocompatible material
- Covering the tooth with a tooth-colored crown to preserve strength and function
How to determine if a root canal is right for you
Natural teeth are one of the strongest components in our bodies, which is why we will do everything in our power to save a natural tooth whenever it is possible. Root canals continue to be one of the best reliable, long term solutions when it comes to deep infection. With a root canal, we can eliminate infection, retain the natural tooth structure and prevent expensive restorations. On the same hand, there are certain situations when root canals are not the best method of care. We will always discuss with you our recommendations for the best treatment plan.
Preventing root canals
While root canals are a safe and effective procedure, there are steps you can take to ensure that you never need to have one.
- Eating a healthy diet
- Drinking lots of water
- Practicing good oral hygiene at home
- Maintaining routine dental exams twice yearly with San Mateo Dental Care
During routine dental exams, we can look for any early signs of decay and address the problem before it turns into a serious infection that could require root canal therapy.
Improve your health and save your natural teeth with root canal therapy in San Mateo
At San Mateo Dental Care, we’re happy to answer any questions our patients have about root canals. We believe that everyone in the San Mateo area deserves access to effective, safe dental care that improves oral health and total wellness. We invite you to call our office today at (650) 278-4797 to schedule an appointment. Our team is eager to meet you and become your partner in dental health.Back to Root Canal Page