Post-Op Home Care for Extractions & Oral Surgery
1) After the extraction, bite on folded wet gauze to stop the bleeding. Keep pressure on the pack for 30 minutes, change it, and keep pressure on the new wet gauze for another 30 minutes (60 minutes total).
2) It is normal to have minor oozing from the extraction site(s) for the first 24 hours. Do not be alarmed if there is blood on your pillow the following morning. A small amount of blood in saliva looks like a lot of blood. Pressure and gauze will almost always stop the bleeding. If bleeding persists, a conventional black tea bag can be soaked in ice water, folded, and placed on the site(s) with firm pressure for 45 minutes, as the tannic acid serves as a local vasoconstrictor. Please call us on our emergency contact phone number if you are concerned about bleeding after your procedure.
3) Do not partake in physical labor or strenuous exercise for 24 hours after the procedure.
4) Do not smoke for the first week after the extraction, as smoking delays the healing process, and increases the likelihood of developing dry socket.
5) If significant discomfort arises on the 3rd to 5th day following the surgery, you may have a dry socket. A dry socket occurs if the blood clot becomes disturbed or falls out, leaving exposed bone, which can be very uncomfortable. To minimize the likelihood of developing dry socket, avoid rinsing, swishing, forceful spitting, sucking through a straw, or smoking during the first 5 days after the extraction.
6) Stay on a soft food diet for the first 24 hours. Avoid hot, spicy, hard, or crunchy food items. Soup that has cooled down, ice cream, or smoothies with a spoon are great choices.
7) Continue routine oral hygiene and brushing, but avoid the extraction site for the first 2 days. Starting 24 hours after the procedure, rinse lightly with warm water to wash away debris from the extraction site.
8) Take all medications as directed, particularly antibiotics.
We want your treatment and recovery to be as rapid, comfortable, and trouble-free as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at (650) 344-7500